Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy New Year

We've been busy. Really busy, and yet it seems as though nothing has changed. Jackson continues to do well at his schools and is managing more verbalizations with every passing week. Most of his words are nearly impossible for the average person to understand, but we are able to decipher most of it through a combination of signs and lucky guesses. Jackson's favorite thing to play these days is Doctor to one of Ainsley's Cabbage Patch Kids. He changes its diaper and uses the stethescope that seems to be permanently around his neck to "listen" to the baby. Seldom do we leave the house without one of the disposable stethescopes (who knew they could be disposable?) we've acquired through our multiple hospital stays. And he drapes it around his neck just like the real docs do when not in use. It's pretty funny to watch him play. I wonder how much of it he remembers from these years of being poked and prodded himself...

Jason's job has had a bit of a lull, which has been a nice break for me. He has been able, over the last month, to help out significantly more with the shuffling of children to school, doctors' appointments, and therapies. That however will come screeching to a halt come February (so I've been warned) and the crazy marathon will resume again. I have however taken some steps to alleviate parts of it. We will now be taking Jackson to Mt. Washington Pediatric hospistal instead of the Kennedy Krieger Institute (which is downtown) for his weekly OT and PT sessions. The therapists are even working to find time slots together so that it is just one trip a week and one afternoon out of the office. I am concerned that this may too much for the Little Man, in which case we'll go back to two separate days. It will still be better than the current scenario, since the location is so much closer. Every little bit helps.

We are still waiting to hear back from the Doctor in Chicago who received the scans of Jack's brain in December for review. Additionally we're waiting to hear on the filamin A testing which was sent off in September. Who knew genetic testing to so long?

On another note, my company is currently going through a "change". The exact change remains to be seen. In fact this afternoon I will be attending a company wide meeting which, we suspect, will determine the fate of the site. In a nutshell, Shire Corporate will either sell the site, lock, stock, and barrel, or will keep the site and make some serious headcount reductions (by approximately half). There is no safe resolution with regards to my job, it seems it may just be a matter of time before my job may be at serious risk for elimination. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will not be the reality, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Lauren.

I have my fingers crossed that things work out for the best with regards to your company, and I truly hope that the changes you've made (in location and scheduling) give you some relief in the "mom taxi" department!

Thinking of you all -

Amy