Sunday, September 7, 2008

Forever Five

Jason and I tease Ainsley that she will be five years old forever. That we've decided she won't have any more birthdays, because we really enjoyed her at the age of five, and we want to continue to enjoy it. So no more birthdays for her. She usually scrunches up a silly face, and says "You're kidding. Right?" We just give her a smirk but we both know we're not really kidding.

We drove to New Jersey on Saturday for one of our dear friends' daughter's birthday party. She and Ainsley are nine months apart and get along famously. It was to be a sleepover (for us all) so we were (over)packed appropriately. On the drive up Ainsley was talking to us, the topic I don't recall. As I sat there listening to our Girl, it was hard for me to remember she is six years old. Not because the manner of her speech, but because I can hardly believe she's six. I keep picturing her little cherub face at three years old surrounded by her long wavy dark blonde hair. I am sometimes shocked to open the car door and see her so grown.

But I am thankful for those stunning moments that remind me to slow down and enjoy her often quirky little ways. It is nothing short of remarkable that, for the amount of time Jackson and his appointments have demanded, she is as well adjusted as she is. She has shown no bitterness or jealously towards her little brother or the effort he requires, and she would have reason to pout, but she chooses not to. At six years old, she's more mature than many adults I've known.

2 comments:

John DiMeo said...

I'm not one of those immature adults you are referring to, am I? haha

sarah said...

Howdy, Lauren! I found your blog from your Facebook page. This post made me smile because it sounds so much like my 6 year old, Allie. She is *so* perfect at being a little kid that the thought of her getting any older than she is now makes me get all weepy. Today she told me she played shoehorses in gym (close!) and ate a sea sandwich at lunch. (Translation: fish sandwich. Isn't she a character?)
Your Ainsley sounds like such a lovely, sweet kid. And Jackson sounds like a little Superman...cute, too! Very, very best wishes for nothing but good news and good health from now on, and lots of strength to you.
Sarah Thompson Akers