Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Blog in Three Acts: Act II

Some of you may have read one of my previous posts about the brave and beautiful Vicki Forman, whose son, Evan passed away two weeks ago. In it I posted the link to her very special article "The Mother at the Swings". It has moved me in many ways and has been hard to forget.

She wrote about something I've never given any thought to, but have certainly been affected by. In her article Vicki talks about the premature birth of her son and how the social worker at the hospital warned her about the reactions she would likely receive from friends and family. There were three categories given: The rocks, the wanna-be-theres, and the gingerbread men. People who you once thought were your rocks could unexpectedly turn into gingerbread men, running away as fast as they can when they learn of your child's disabilities.

This is a sad reality for many parents of special needs children. I have recently experienced it myself with someone who was once, one of my most solid rocks. Now I am avoided like the plague - with no phone calls, no emails, no contact at all. And I am heartbroken. I have tried in vain to reconnect, only to be left with a string of unanswered emails and unreturned phone calls. It wasn't until I read "The Mother at the Swings" that I realized what had happened. That realization stings me to the core and I am at a complete loss.

I am however, thankful, so very thankful, for the scores of friends, family and coworkers who do support me and my family. And while the sting is still there, knowing you are all there, reading the blog, leaving your comments, and emailing just to say "Hi" certainly helps soothe it.

Q: What kind of friend abandons a friend in the midst of difficult times?
A: Someone who was never really a friend to begin with.

And that is truly a tragedy.

No comments: