Saturday, August 16, 2008

You are here.


I am happy to report that our IEP meeting went really, really well.  They have determined that Jack does indeed need five days a week of intensive preschool.  Included in that is three, one on one sessions of speech and language and one session each of OT and PT.  According to several people who have experienced IEPs, this is an incredible plan, aggressive and realistic and we are extraordinarily happy with the outcome.

On another note, we were at Hopkins on Thursday for Jack's brain MRI.  With the exception of an unexpected intubation, everything went relatively well.  Prior to this procedure, I wasn't concerned at all about the results, and was somewhat confident that there was no reason to be concerned.  The MRI was recommended by both Jack's neurologist and our developmental pediatrician as a cautionary measure to make sure we've haven't missed something obvious. When we left the recovery room, the nurse was unusually persistent, encouraging me to "be the squeaky wheel" with regards to getting the official results.  So in my usual thorough way, Friday morning I emailed our Genetic Neurologist asking for the unofficial "all systems normal" email.  (Otherwise it is a month or more to get the official version in the mail.)  His response was unusually fast and not the standard "everything was normal".  Instead I received an email stating,  "I'm having one of my colleagues review the images".  I was clearly taken back a bit.  And while I am trying desperately to not obsess about this, it is difficult, if not nearly impossible to do.  

For those of you who are familiar with MRIs, cat scans, or xrays, you likely know that the doctor who orders the test is not the doctor who reads, interprets and reports on the images.  And in this case, the report and scans were sent to our neurologist Thursday afternoon shortly after the procedure was finished.  So the asking of a colleague to review the images is not part of the normal protocol, and has me a bit concerned.  Again, I am trying very, very hard not to assume the worst.  I am doing my best to convince myself that he is just be extraordinarily thorough. 

Top that off with the fact that Jack had his first nose bleed last week and has had two since then, and I can't help but be a little bit neurotic about leaving tomorrow for another business trip to Miami.  Normally, I welcome three nights alone in a hotel room and time by the pool, a bit of a respite.  However, at his moment I have no desire to be anywhere but here.  


No comments: