Sunday, August 17, 2008

Travel Karma


I set off this afternoon for the airport, knowing quite well that many flights to the Sunshine State were already delayed. My mind was prepared for a long afternoon at BWI waiting and waiting for my flight to depart. To my great surprise, my flight was on time, thus at 3:05 PM I was on a plane to Miami.

The flight was bumpy, particularly towards the end, which would normally bother me, but I didn't really mind it so muh, feeling lucky just to have left the ground in the first place. When the plane landed, I grabbed my bag from the baggage claim belt and headed off to the rental car desk. I am a "Preferred" member so I don't even stop at the desk. I check the board of names and go straight to the car- where I am really disappointed to find a Ford Focus waiting for me. I wheeled back to the desk and politely asked the attendant if he could give me a different car. After a few minutes he winked and told me the location of the new car and told me to "Have fun". It wasn't until I saw the glow of the cherry red convertible Eclipse that I understood what he meant. I'm not normally a convertible kind of girl but I thought it would be fun. So I hopped in the car and hit the road. I turned on the Sirrus satellite radio to find The Smiths playing and cruised on down I-95.






After checking in to my hotel and ordering dinner, I've settled in for the evening, thankful for my good travel karma. However, tropical storm Fay is due to make an appearance in the area as early as tomorrow afternoon and apparently will be in no rush to leave, potentially hanging around as late as Thursday morning. I am due to fly home Wednesday afternoon, smack at the height of the storm. It seems my good travel karma may be coming to an abrupt and ugly end. But for now I'm here, comfy and cozy and ready to sleep for hours.....

No comments: